A randomized trial to evaluate the efficacy of online follow-up visits in the management of acne.
Setting: USA, 2 Teaching hospital
Total: 151 (121)
IG: 74 (54)
CG: 77 (67)
– Mild to moderate acne
– 12 years or older
– Upload pic-tures
– Answer dis-ease-specific questions
– Modify treat-ments
– Clarify patient history
– Attach elec-tronic prescrip-tions
Patients capture 3 facial digital images and upload them to a secure website and complete a structured set of disease-specific questions online. Dermatologists responded to e-visit subjects within 3 business days. The e-visit platform allowed physicians to modify treatments, clarify the history, and attach electronic prescriptions.
Duration: 24 weeks (4 follow up e-visits with dermatologist at 6 weeks intervals)
Add on: NA
Control group: In clinic follow up.
– Change in total inflammatory lesions →
– Acne improvement →
– Satisfaction →
– Proportion of patients who would consider using e-visit again 91%
– Satisfaction with overall care →
– Development of web site
– Training staff to review digital images.
– Dermatologist responding e-visit.
– Development of new skills (
Health care utilization:
– Time per visit →